Knowledge is good only if it is shared. As a new blogger, I had learned to change the Web template, and found out the tips, tricks, hacks, and tweaks of altering the Blogger template, customizing CSS, widgets, layout, blog design, inserting JavaScripts, HTML codes, Google AdSense, and other settings the hard way, through many trials and errors. For the purposes of this guide, I had started with the old Blogger “Minima” template. As I made the changes or learned something new, I had documented them. Before changing any template, please remember to save a copy of the current template. After editing the template, preview it, and save it when you are satisfied with the change. Hope this guide will help those who are finding the way around, just like me.

Search Tips for New Bloggers

We have extended our month-long vacation by a couple of days. We shall be posting articles the moment we return. We noticed that Google had updated the Page Ranks. New bloggers who have been waiting anxiously for this can check their blogs' Page Ranks. We have the PR checker link in our SEO Tools - Search Engine Optimization article.

The blog we created recently in Aug 2007, Blogger FAQ and Help, has also got its first Page Rank, a PR4. All our blogs are now ranked:-

Tips for New Bloggers - PR6
Business Fables and Management Lessons - PR4
Famous Motivational and Inspirational Quotes - PR4
Blogger FAQ and Help - PR4

Thanks to everyone for the support!

May 15, 2007

Digg This Story

Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons (II)

This is a continued list of Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons which you can include into your Blog. If you have not read the first part, please check out Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons (I). You may also consider having a chatbox, shoutbox or message board on your Blog. We ended with AuctionAds which can earn you some extra revenue. We begin this second part with a fun widget that you can have.


“The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.” ... Blaise Pascal

Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

If you are writing an online diary about personal events, you may want to let your readers know at a glance your mood at the current moment. Punkymoods does just that. Get a free account and add their code to your Blog. Whenever your mood changes, login to their site and set the mood. The image or emoticon displayed on your Blog will be automatically changed to show your current mood.


Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

Organizing a fund-raising event and want readers to contribute to the funds? ChipIn provides a widget which gives an up-to-date status and a secure means of collecting the funds.


Most of us would have used statcounters to keep track of the number of visitors to our sites. Numbers alone may be a little stale, and if you like something more graphic which shows the locations of your visitors, open a free account with Clustrmaps.

Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

Go to Admin page and copy the HTML code into your Blog. Their service is free if you have not more than 2,500 visitors per day.

Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

Do you always have to explain terms and jargons used on your site? Incorporate some free Answer tools like AnswerTips and AnswerBoxes from for your visitors to obtain instant answers to key words and queries.


Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

Also powered by is the widget by Blufr where viewers are posed a question which could either be true or a bluff. [Update: Service is no longer available and link is therefore removed.]


This site TheFreeDictionary has more free tools for you to choose from. You could have a simple dictionary lookup box.

Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

You could also consider other useful resources like Word of the Day, Article of the Day, This day in history, Today's birthday, In the News, Quote of the Day and games like Spelling Bee, Match Up and Hangman.

Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons


Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

If you have a collection of books, you might find the service at LibraryThing useful. Here, you can create an online catalog of your books and be connected to people around the world who share similar collections. You can place a widget on your Blog to let people know what you are reading.


Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

Creating a blog poll to collect opinions from your readers has never been easier. With Vizu you can create a poll using customized templates and insert the polling widget into your Blog. If you'd like extra income, they will pay you to host selected webpolls through their Vizu Answers scheme.


Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

Teaming up with, WeLoveWidgets provides a horoscope widget that updates itself and lets you see who you are compatible with.


Blog Widgets, Gadgets and Add-ons

This site was discussed in our article on Submit Blog to Blog Directories (I). Check out the blog widgets offered by Technorati too. You can have widgets displaying the top tags of your Blog and number of Links, or try their new Authority widget to show your status as an authoritative blogger. Again, this is based on the number of blogs linking to you.

© Tips for New Bloggers

Found this article useful? Mention us in your post, subscribe to our feed, link to us, or bookmark this site. Thanks for your support!AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Smriti said...

Wow, this is a very informative post. I was looking for ways to add current mood to my posts when I cam across this. Is there any other site other than punkmoods that you know of?

bizwhiz said...

Hi Smriti

If I come across any other interesting sites, I'll add to this list.

Tara said...

HI Biz!
First wanted to Thank you a million times over for providing all the information I needed to bring my blogger back to life. It was so boring and lifeless I abandon it while ago for 360. Now with your help I am creating a blog on blogger that I have total control over. Thanks!

Second - I followed the blufr link and unfortunately it states "blufr is no more". They discontinued the service.

Third - I wanted to change the background color of a couple of my sidebar elements (like "About Me") but I don't know how. I looked at your site but couldn't find anything.

Four - I also signed up for "FeedBurner" and created an animated scrolling widget for my blog posts like the one you wrote about. What I'd like to know, is how did you get yours to link directly to your blog instead of the FeedBurner site?

Thanks for the helpful information and the great site!! I hope you don't mind I put a link to you at the top of my blog


bizwhiz said...

Hi Tara

Thanks for letting us know about Blufr. We shall update the article.

The how-to guide to changing background colors can be found at Background Image for Blogger Template. If you want to change only one specific element, we shall write a guide tomorrow and post it in our Blogger FAQ blog.

As for the Feedburner, our widgets here link to our Feedburner URL or the Feedburner main site. Anyway, if you want to change that, where it says href="FEEDBURNER URL", change it to "YOUR BLOG URL".

pearlie said...

Thanks for the list! I think I will enjoy punkymood.
BTW, I am wondering if you can help. I used to have librarything widget in my blog but changed it to since i feel it is the next best with no limit on number of books. But I seem to have a problem with the widget - it displays with bullet points and line breakers. I tried it on a new 'rounded' theme and same problem. Could you help? thanks!

bizwhiz said...

Hi pearlie

Many third party providers do not like users to modify their widget codes, primarily because they want their widgets to appear in a certain manner or layout. You would have to raise your query with them.

pearlie said...

Hi bizwhiz,
I did raise it with them but no answer for quite awhile and so I gotta search for my own solution :)

Anyway, I seem to be learning CSS on-the-fly :) as I have just removed this section from my template HTML:

.sidebar ul li {
background:url("") no-repeat 2px .25em;
padding:0 0 3px 16px;
border-bottom:1px dotted $borderColor;

It worked for the anobii widget BUT now my blogroll list do not have bullets. It's either-or. Sigh ...

Thanks anyway :)

bizwhiz said...

Hi pearlie

I reiterate. Third party providers are sticky about the way their widgets look. If you don't like this particular widget, perhaps search for another one. I would not suggest that you amend your template just to accommodate one widget.

Nancy said...

I have found some really useful info at your site and am sure happy you are there and helping us new bloggers out!

Dining Room Furniture said...

I was looking for ways to add current mood to my posts when I cam across this. Is there any other sites??

could you provide us with lists of your informative sites??

Pinkberry said...

hi, this is a very cool site... it helps me a lot... Million thanks for the very detailed info... Keep it up

Sohna Munda said...

Hello Brother I need ur help i wanna know if i post a very long article and i want to show its Five Lines and remaining from this link someting "Read More" so how i do this plz help me.